Home | The Crest | The Priory | Shiels | Ralph Gardner | Harbour | Fish Quay |Slide Show | Resources | Tyne Lives

 

 

The harbour 1832.
The second half of the 18th century saw the expansion of the ship building trade, which led to the development of land above the bank. In 1763, the first houses were built in Dockwray Square, for the shipowners. More shipyards continued to open and gave employment to carpenters and shipwrights, and by the 19th century, Shields was a thriving community, with its own fish market. 1846 saw the end of the long struggle with Newcastle with the creation of the Port of Tyne, and in 1848, the Tyne Improvement Commission.

Copyright © North Tyneside Libraries 2007-8