Home | The Crest | The Priory | Shiels | Ralph Gardner | Harbour | Fish Quay |Slide Show | Resources | Tyne Lives

 

Postcard showing Clifford's Fort

Copyright © North Tyneside Libraries 2007-8

In 1528, North Shields sent out six 'crayers' to the Icelanic fleet. They also fished off the Shetlands and the north coast of Scotland. Ling and cod were the principal catches, being salted and sold at Newcastle. Large quantities of salmon were sent from Berwick to Shields, to be cured and pickled, before being sent to London in tubs.