By 1905, the Fish Quay was developed to almost the size it is today, and in 1906 it reported that between twenty - thirty trawlers as well as one hundred and thirty smaller locally owned boats were landing each day. By 1936, seventy trawlers were based in North Shields. With the growth of the fishing industry new ancillary trades came into operation including an ice factory, Tyne Brand, guano works, engine works, net and rope making, and ship repair.
During the World War II many of the stream trawlers were taken out of fishing for such things as mine sweeping duties etc. By 1946 only thirty eight trawlers were based at North Shields and to date there are only four based there.
The Fish Quay was owned and operated by Tynemouth Corporation until 1968 when it came under the control of the Port of Tyne Authority.
|Copyright © North Tyneside Libraries 2007|