Home | Coal | Industry | Danger | Safety Lamps | Disaster | Jobs | Quiz | Acknowledgements| Tyne Lives
The Wallsend Colliery
Wallsend Colliery was made up of seven pits. As early as 1831 there were underground workings below most of Wallsend as we know it today.
A Pit -The First Engine Pit was started 1778 south of Buddle Street, west of Segedunum.
B Pit - Was begun in 1778, North of Buddle Street and west of Segedunum.
C Pit - Wallsend Pit or Gas Pit was begun in 1790, where Wallsend Park now is and south of the tennis courts.
D Pit - West Pit was started in 1790 and would have been where Wallsend Golf Course and West Street Dairy are situated.
E Pit - Tommy Mann's Pit, began in 1793 behind High View North and south of the Coast Road.
F Pit - Beanyfield Pit was started in 1797, south of the Coast Road and west of the Hadrian Hospital.
G Pit - Church Pit started in 1802, south of St Peter's Church and west of Hadrian Road Metro.
previous 1  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
22-Jun-2007 © North Tyneside Libraries 2007-8