1. Who might be called Wallsend's Mr Coal?
2. Which of Wallsend Colliery's seven pits was named after a person?
The Tommy Mann Pit
The John Buddle Pit
The John Smith Pit
3. What might Wallsend have looked like 200 million years ago?
Swamp, jungle, tropical forest and mud
Forests, grasslands and lakes
4. What do we call the layers in the rock and coal "sandwich"?
5. Following the coal seam into the hillside is called?
6. What sort of pits did early miners dig?
7. What job did the corvers do?
Made wicker baskets to bring the coal up in
Filled the tubs with coal
Drove the horses in the gin to turn the engine
8. The trappers were the persons
responsible for the method of working and ventilating the mine
9. Who invented the Safety Lamp?
10. The Wallsend Pit Disaster of 1835 occured in which pit?
First Engine Pit